Reaching your goals
Set goals that are important to you, that you really want to achieve. Decide what kind of goal it is. It is an outcome goal or personal goal.
Outcome goals - Goals with specific, time stamped outcomes. These goals have an end result. For example, I want to lose 20 lbs. by my wedding date". Okay that's very specific and the outcome is clearly defined.
Personal Goals - Goals about changing our way of thinking or behavior. These goals are specific but have an ongoing result. For example. "I want to eat healthier, so I can feel better and have more energy." So this goal is clear and has an ongoing outcome. The goal is reached when your habits change and the outcome continues on for as long as you continue the new habit.
Make Your Goal Attainable
Make your goal attainable. Deciding that you will lose 20lbs. By next week may be a little out of reach and not attainable.
Make Your Goal Specific
Make sure your goal is specific. Let's say you want to reduce your debt. A goal may be "I want to have 1 credit card paid off by 11/1/2024". This goal is specific and attainable. As opposed to, "I want to pay off all of my debt". This goal has no specifics and it's not clear if it's attainable.
After you decide what kind of goal you have and have clearly defined your goal. You have written down exactly what you want to accomplish and why you want to accomplish it, then you need to make an action plan or strategy. Because a goal without a strategy is just a dream.
Create a Goal Action Plan
- Clearly define your goal and write it down, be as detailed as possible.
- Write down why you want to achieve this goal. How you will feel when you reach your goal and what will change in your life.
- Research and learn as much as you can about what you want to accomplish.
- Brainstorm everything you can think of that you need to do or things that will help you reach your goal.
- Organize those ideas into a timeline with actionable steps.
Now that you have a plan, it’s time to get yourself mentally ready.
- Set a daily reminder in your calendar to take steps toward your goal.
- Visualize reaching your goal.
- Stay focused on the step that you're currently working on.
- Track your progress to keep you motivated.
- Review your reasons why you want to achieve your goal.
- Don’t get discouraged. If you make a misstep, get behind that’s okay, just shake it off and get back to it.
Reaching your goals can be done, by doing your research, making an action plan and keeping your focus on the outcome. Remember to stay positive, and don’t get discouraged. Most importantly you can do anything you put your mind to, you make your decisions and you create your own future. ❤️